METRO JOURNEYS FOR FUTURE-READY STUDENTS

Australian school students will graduate into a shifting workplace. These students need different capabilities to survive and thrive in this new world. Experiential learning in the outdoors is one of the most profound ways to engage students in active learning, leading to meaningful and authentic experiences. Our metro journeys are multi-day adventures providing opportunities for your students to explore, wonder, and reflect on their place in the world, in locations close to the urban fringe. With minimal travel time, your students have more time to discover and develop vital life skills.

PREPARING TODAY'S LEARNERS FOR AN UNKNOWN FUTURE

The future this current generation of students is set to inherit will be vastly different from our own. Accelerating globalisation and ever-evolving technological developments mean tomorrow's young adults will face some of the world's most pressing and complex social, economic and environmental challenges. 

To navigate such uncertainty, students need to develop curiosity, imagination, and resilience; they will need to respect and appreciate other’s ideas, perspectives, and values; and they will need to withstand failure and move forward in the face of adversity. They will need to be responsible and empowered, placing collaboration above division, and sustainability above short-term gain. 

In the face of an increasingly unpredictable and complex world, schools can create opportunities for students to become healthy, happy and confident young adults by taking learning beyond the four walls of the classroom. In an era characterised by incredible scientific advances and a growing array of complex societal problems, it is appropriate that curricula should continue to evolve to suit the needs of tomorrow's leaders.

METRO JOURNEYS TO HELP SHAPE FUTURE-READY STUDENTS

The Outdoor Education Group's metro journeys provide an immersive and unforgettable outdoor education experience; they are designed to introduce your students to new environments, new challenges, and new ways of thinking.

Metro journeys range from 2 to 5 days in length and allow your students to canoe, cycle or bushwalk through local parks and nature reserves within proximity to your school. Metro journey programs help build self-efficacy, resilience and provide young people with the experiences to support them in becoming future-ready. With minimal travel time, your students and staff have more time to explore new capabilities and reconnect with the natural world.

Over 75% of Australia's mental health problems occur before the age of 25. Young people experience profound and diverse benefits through regular contact with nature. Time spent in nature reduces their chances of developing depression by 25% and improves their wellbeing, motivation and confidence. Metro journeys improve student wellbeing, shaping happy young adults by disengaging them from their increasingly digital lives and providing a space for them to reconnect with themselves, their peers and the natural world.

PLACING THE STUDENT AT THE CENTRE

Future-ready students need to exercise agency in their own education. Metro journeys allow for a shift in the teaching paradigm. A facilitated approach encourages students to think for themselves and critically evaluate their decision-making, learning from each other, and problem-solving together. Placing the learner at the centre empowers them, develops a sense of responsibility and strengthens their contribution to the world around them.

ENHANCE STUDENT DEVELOPMENT

Belonging is a fundamental human need, but 1 in 4 students worldwide do not feel a sense of belonging, and numbers are steadily rising; this can significantly impact student’s overall wellbeing as adolescents and later as adults. Metro journeys provide a space for students to engage directly with the natural world; this immersive and direct experience supports students to develop a sense of belonging, contributing to a stronger sense of identity. A sense of identity is crucial to the development of self-esteem and confidence. Students with a strong sense of identity are open to new challenges; they understand they can contribute to the world and make a difference as active, productive citizens.

PARKS, BUSHLAND AND RIVERS – ALL AT YOUR DOORSTEP

Metro journeys have been developed with flexibility in mind because we know the real world is a dynamic place and you don't necessarily have to travel far from home to enjoy it. 

We teach students how to adapt to ever-changing conditions, learn to make proactive decisions while having some fun exploring local areas.

Most suitable for young people aged 11 – 18 years old, metro journeys are available across Victoria and New South and are conducted during the week.

In New South Wales, depending on your location, students have the opportunity to explore:
  • Natural environments in Sydney Metro
  • Glenworth Valley
  • Great North Walk or
  • Hawkesbury River

In Victoria, depending on your location, students can enjoy the diverse landscapes of:

  • The Upper Yarra River
  • Point Leo Beach
  • Warburton/Lilydale Rail Trail
  • Warburton or
  • Hepburn Regional Park.

The Outdoor Education Group's metro journeys are carefully designed to challenge and inspire the next generation of school, community and professional leaders, by delivering powerful learning experiences that allow young people to explore their full potential. They create the foundation for shaping citizens who care for the natural world and their communities. Our metro journeys enrich young people's lives and support them in developing universal capabilities which will serve them well for life – wherever it may take them.

Metro Journeys LP Gallery 3

METRO JOURNEYS MEET THE NEEDS OF YOUR SCHOOL COMMUNITY

Metro journeys provide students opportunities to grapple with complex problems through enquiry; they encourage collaboration and teach responsibility. For example, a bushwalking journey challenges students to work collaboratively and exercise meaningful communication techniques as they master orienteering and plan their route. They learn to trust their peers' abilities and have confidence in their decisions as they discover new skills and push beyond their comfort zones.

The Outdoor Education Group offer a range of outcome-focused and themed metro journeys designed to deliver social, physical and psychological outcomes. For example:

  • Metro journeys in resilience provide challenge by choice opportunities to explore teamwork as part of a small group, overcome obstacles and build self-confidence, and recognise the importance of their contributions to group goals.
  • Metro journeys in leadership provide real-world situations to enhance communication and conflict resolution. Students have the opportunity to understand motivation and develop an understanding of the balance between leadership and followership.
  • Metro journeys in environmental connection and stewardship provide opportunities to connect students to community via the natural environment. Opportunities may include beach clean-ups, land care projects, restoration projects, or service projects, with a focus on taking care of people and places.

The Outdoor Education Group's metro journeys invite your students to experience new activities and explore their potential through trial and error, with hands-on learning supported by facilitators who offer feedback and guide reflection. Your students are enabled to think critically about self-management practices, showing respect for others, and understanding their impact on the natural world. With practice, they will hone their problem-solving skills and become independent thinkers who are creative and ready to tackle anything.

Enquire now to speak to someone about the metro journeys available in Melbourne and Sydney, and see how we can design a product to suit your needs.

ENQUIRE NOW

READ ON

COVID-19, STUDENT WELLBEING AND THE BENEFITS OF OUTDOOR EDUCATION

Ioánna Lyssiotis The outbreak of COVID-19 has caused major disruptions to daily life. Young people are feeling these...

SIGNATURE JOURNEYS IN VICTORIA

Ioánna Lyssiotis Our Signature journey programs are a collection of our most sought-after experiences; they form the...

SIGNATURE JOURNEYS IN NEW SOUTH WALES

Ioánna Lyssiotis Our Signature journey programs are our most loved experiences; they form the cornerstone of our...